May 4, 2020

Oregon

Planning Snowboarding trip:
I'm just thinking of plan a Snowboarding trip in search of powder snow.
When should I going? January is the coldest in a year in order to improve the probability to seek the powder snow.

Where to go? Travel period is two weeks but I'd rather choose minimum traveling time for transportation as possible as I can.Hokkaido? I live near Tokyo so Hokkaido is the nearest ski resort to me but I've ever been there many times.Vancouver? I already visited there twice and is accessible because there are direct flights from Tokyo to Vancouver and I know there are direct shuttle bus services to Whistler from the airport.I understand what to do and where to stay in Whistler or downtown Vancouver that gonna be reduce my stress but I just wanna look for somethings to stir me up.

Oregon? I've heard from someone who I met in America last time,he said that if you are powder hounds I recommend you visit Mt.Bachelor.Gerry Lopez who is the famous Surfer was completely fascinated by powder snow in Mt.Bachelor and he decided to moved to Oregon.Those facts which I mentioned above made me interested in Oregon.I made up my mind to visit Oregon.I booked a Delta Airline's flight tickets to Portland from Tokyo immediately and started preparation for Snowboarding trip to Oregon.


Portland Oregon:
The plane which I boarded touch down on the runway safe and sound at the Portland International Airport in the United States of America.A Black man cabin attendant near me opened the plane window shade and looked out of the window.He lamented that Oh,I've never seen sunny Oregon.
Portland International Airport,its building unified with green carpet that make me feel to reduce my tension. Heading to Downtown Portland,I was looking for an accommodation and checked in the Indian own cheaper motel which located a little far from downtown area.I left my heavy backpack in the room and took a stroll around the Downtown area.

It's raining today.Every time I came to a region in northwestern America like a Seattle or Vancouver,it always rains.Portland is no exception. I've heard that the air crosses from the Pacific Ocean to the mountains that forces the moist air into the atmosphere,enhancing the thick clouds and steady rainfall in northwest of America that why bring heavy snow fall on the mountains.
Even though it's rainy,the local people doesn't carry an umbrella.It's really cold in there but they wearing a T-shirt without warm jacket.I just wondering that Japanese and White men are different anatomy.

The city that covered by thick clouds is rainy in the semi dark all day long but make me feel better when I feel a nice flavor of coffee.I think its taste in the northwestern region much better than any other cities.Running cars in the city turning on its headlights from the daytime that was strange thing to me.In Japan,we rarely turn on the vehicle headlights during the daytime even though it's in the dark. I think the American are more practical than Japanese.

I was impressed at the Powell's book store and nearby stores such a Cafe or Deli that feels like I was at the Notting Hill.Though I've never been to Notting Hill.Anyway I loved at there.Apparently American read a lot of books than Japanese.We are not read as much books as you think.It's very common the one wearing business suits reading a comic magazines which pervasive sex and violence in the commuter trains in Japan.American books are very big like a phone book with thick hardcover but Japanese books are very small like a pocket notebook because we have 130 million population in the small land.Japan's land is a little smaller than California.so we need to downsize everything in Japan.

I took a bus,it's already dark.I saw the night view in the rain from the window of the moving bus.Raindrops on window are shinning by night view. I like the idea of Purple Rain.The bus driver turned on the radio and let the passenger listen to the local FM station.I just listening to Boyz II Men - On Bended Knee from FM station.
The bus stopped in front of the Hawthorne bridge. I was surprising to see the bridge suddenly raised to let the ship pass through.I was the only one to surprise to see that.Eventually the bus passed through on the Hawthorne bridge as if nothing had happened.I dropped off the bus in front of the Youth hostel on the Hawthorne Blvd and checked in the hostel.

Portland Hawthorne hostel is a old big house but very cozy which surrounded by green.Hawthorne district is a fantastic town that in the suburb of Downtown Portland.I really loved at the atmosphere of the Hawthorne district.

I'm staying at the dormitory room in the Youth Hostel that meas have no choice in the shared living room other than go to bed.Backpackers,Students and a Business man who taking a business trip.There were all sorts of people showed up in the living room.I found the American to be very friendly, making strangers feel at home and immediately welcome.Sometime I feel that when I being with American,they seems to be acting their role in the movie scene.I wonder that I was able to play a role of Japanese snowboarder who came from Tokyo in this movie scene?

In Tokyo,Basically we don't talk with stranger.we gonna have to behave special care when we talk with older one that not going to be functional that city.but I feel very comfortable since I came to America because I don't have to hesitate to start a conversation with stranger and I can say whatever I want to say.

Snowboarding in Oregon:
I took a Greyhound bus from Portland to Bend.The bus driver let me off at the bus depot in Bend but nothing stands around there.I didn't know how to get to the youth hostel in Bend.I should have ride in a taxicab from bus depot but I'm not rich enough everywhere go by taxi and I didn't know any amount was suitable for a tip because Japanese don't custom for a tip that discourage me from take a taxi.
so I asked someone for a direction to Downtown Bend and started to heading to
Downtown to carry heavy back-pack on my back.

I was able to get to Downtown Bend anyway but have to take a walk over again to the youth hostel.Maybe I walked through to the youth hostel from Greyhound's bus depot for an hour with carried heavy back-pack.

I rang the doorbell at the youth hostel in Bend,A tall manager opened the door and appeared in front of me and said Thank you for going out of your way from Tokyo.He welcomed me warmly.I'm going to stay there for a week.

There is a bus stop near youth hostel for free shuttle bus to Mt.Bachelor. I bought one week pass lift ticket.lift tickets in America are incredibly expensive nowadays but I was able to buy it cheaper two decades ago.I might not go snowboarding in America anymore but I was lucky to able to snowboarding in Colorado, Utah, California and Oregon.


Mt.Bachelor is a big scale ski resort.Especially I like near the top of the mountain which surrounded untouched nature.It's gonna be wonderful if I had a powder snow but I haven't had any new snow so far.

On my way back to youth hostel, I found a take out pizza shop which lined up many people.Its smell from the pizza shop was tempting so I bought a pizza which contain lots of mushrooms in it.That pizza was the best pizza I've ever had.
Mt.Bachelor wasn't developed long stay ski resort like a Vail or Whistler that time. so there was nothing to do at night.I didn't have a rent-a-car so I had a trouble to go to the Supermarket but sometimes someone who stay at the hostel asked me to take me to the Supermarket by car that was really pleased about that.

Next morning, I put some pizza in the microwave which leftover yesterday at the kitchen.someone said out of the kitchen that what a nice smell.he said to me that you must be a very good at cooking.To be honest,I just heated leftover pizza in the microwave,I'm not good at cooking but I didn't say that.

I know that Mt.Bachelor is well known for its powder snow in America.I came all the way from Tokyo in search of powder snow.I came to Oregon in the best ski season in January.I bought an one week pass and staying there for four days but basically snow condition has been icy.The weather forecast said that will not be expect new snow for a while,so I made a decision to leave Mt.Bachelor and move to Mt.Hood.

I told a manager of the hostel that I'm going to leave this hostel ahead of schedule for move to Mt.Hood.He inquired me with concern that Do you have any idea how to get there or where are you going to stay? You know I've ever traveled many countries by myself,it's peace of cake for me those kind of preparation.I didn't say that to him but I told him that I already checked there's a Greyhound bus to Mt.Hood from Bend and I already made a reservation for accommodation near Mt.Hood.

Next day,I came back to Government Camp,the base of Mt.Hood.What do I mean to came back? Actually this is the second times to come to Mt.Hood.I was here a couple years ago to join the snowboarding summer camp so I'm already familiar with this town.I still remember everything about that.I know there's a restaurant,
grocery stores and bar those all are in walking distance.

I checked in at the Huckleberry Inn which has the dormitory rooms so I can stay there cheaper but a manager will kick me out on weekend because already booked up on weekend for group travelers.I accepted what he said because I came here on Monday and go back to Tokyo on this weekend.

Skibowl is a really close from Huckleberry Inn.It's in the town.It is said that America's largest night ski area.Indeed,all terrain are lit for night skiing but I doubt about it because I went to Snow Summit in southern California which was same scale as Skibowl.I don't care which one is the largest night ski area but I don't believe "America's best".For example,I was gather some tourist pamphlet at the tourist information in SF,many of them emphasized that the best place to visit in USA.and then,I did the same thing in LA,the tourist pamphlet said that the best place to visit in USA.I saw a lot of the best hamburger in USA,I saw a lot of the best pizza in USA.I don't literally believe that the define of "America's best" anymore.

Timberline Lodge,its building is well known as the shooting place for the movie "Shining" by Jack Nicholson.The snow never melt even in the summer.Like I said, I've ever joined Snowboarding summer camp about a couple of years ago at there.
We learned the half-pipe or slalom lessons in the morning.Its program offers not only snowboarding lessons.After the snowboarding lessons,they offer another activities like a MTB,Wakeboarding,River rafting and so on.Snowboarding summer camp also to providing for children's program.I definitely think the summer camp in America is really wonderful.

Since I've started to write this article that bring me back the memories while I was there.I began to think that I want to let my daughter to participate the summer camp in America regardless snowboarding camp.Even though with a different language and culture that sometimes made her uncomfortable but eventually those experience while she was young must be has a rich imagination and expand her possibility.The experience in Oregon gave me a new dream.




No comments:

Post a Comment