Jun 12, 2020

Going back to Cali


Driving on the freeway from LAX,I'm heading up 101 to the north. Every time I tried to change the lanes on the freeway,I made a same mistake over and over again to put windshields on instead of a blinker on because I just arrived from Tokyo but gradually reducing that kind of mistake when I driving around Thousand Oaks.The freeway 101 ascends steepy from there. I've been listening to KIIS-FM in the car radio since I've started driving from LAX but gradually faded out its voice and can listening to Spanish radio instead when my Chevy going downhill. I always afraid of driving when I going this downhill because I lost my sense of speed when I going down there.I can see the Camarillo Premium Outlet.I will be soon arrive at my destination.

I just arrived at Oxnard that takes about one and half hours which includes traffic jam.I think of Oxnard as my second home.Although there are nothing particular in this town but I love this town which surrounded farmland and greener grass.There are many Mexican so I had a opportunity to talk with Mexican people.sometime I felt that I shoud've study Spanish in order to lively conversations with them.

There was nothing to do aside from surfing. so I went to the K-MART or VONS to buy something that often. I loved a Baja Fresh's burrito and El Pollo Loco. Kampai is a typical American Japanese restaurant with sushi bar and teppan grill.my friend used to work at there.There's bar adjoining a Kampai.I used to watch Dodgers' game while drinking at the bar. It's really warm climate year round in there. If I lived rural area of Southern California like a Oxnard just once,I just wondering that can't live other places any more.

Usually I go surfing to Ventura but I asked my friend that I want to go to Silver Strand once in a while. He told me that I don't recommend to go surf in Silver Strand because it's hard to deal with localism. I accepted what he said so I'm going to Ventura as usual.Took the freeway to north and get off at California Street. Arrived at the beach in front of Crowne Plaza(ex Holiday Inn) and then turn right.There are any surf break over there.During the periods of staying in California, Surfing at the Ventura was my daily routine. Basically,it seems to be waves are subsided in the summer in here. but when it becomes winter,waves are big enough.The big storm near aleutian islands create the big waves on NorthShore Hawaii in the winter,big wave season begins in Ventura as well. I surfed Mondos Beach that often which located a bit north of the central Ventura.


Further drive freeway 101 to north,it takes about 15 minutes when you pass through Santa Barbara,you can see the pebble stone seashore.There are good waves along the cape,Rincon. Maybe Rincon is crowded surf spot than other area but crowd is interspersed at three distinctive take off spots,Indicator,River Mouth and cove. When the waves are perfect,riding wave at the Indicator can connect all the way to the inside of the Cove.

I'm going to take a short trip to hot springs.Sycamore is a place where a hot spring wells up. You can get there approximately three hours from LA by freeway 101 heading to north. Sycamore Mineral Springs Resort & Spa provides open-air naturally heated mineral spring hot tubs which surrounded by a beautiful rich wood fence with lattice to ensure your privacy from other guests. We are taking the hot springs which surrounded by nature,serene environment and fresh air. I really felt so happy that I was able to take the hot springs here in California. I realized like that when I looked up at the starry sky.

After we were refreshed by hot springs,we forgot that we are starving.we visited at Nipomo on our way back to Oxnard. Jacko's steak house is bustling with customers even though such a rural area like that. While we were waiting for our turn,we drunk some beer at the bar which adjoined a restaurant.I started a conversation with someone who sat next to me."I came all the way from Tokyo to eat steak which served here." He prourdly said that "The Best steak in the world." Actually I came to California to visit my friend who lives in Oxnard and I wanted enjoy surfing but it's true that I desperately wanted to come back to this steak restaurant.

A waitress called our name,our table is ready.We were wait for a long time but were not tired of waiting. I can see that so many steaks grilled over charcoal fire through the glass windows. The smell of steak grilled by charcoal fire make me hungry.We drunk California wine while waiting for a steak.presently our steaks are served on the table.A big steak which I ordered was grilled crispy outside and juicy inside.I think California wine is delicious that goes well with this steak.

There are so many restaurant which serves steak in the world.we can enjoy a good meal if we spend a lot of money.I don't know the steak which served here is the best in the world or not but apparently the one I ate here is the best ever to me. If I could come back to here,I would be very happy the rest of my life.

Driving on PCH 1 to south along the coast from Oxnard,I found a surf break so pulled over my car along the road near Neptune's Net which is well known as the shooting place for the movie "Point Break" by Keanu Reeves.A name of surf break there is County Line.I did surf for a while at there.When I was waiting for a wave at line up,someone or something came near to me from offshore. I looked at that carefully,Uh-oh,that was a seal.A seal passed through near me and keep swimming
for the shore. I've never seen the wild life seal so that was interesting to me.

Further down the PCH 1,we dropped in at Zuma Beach and Malibu.We didn't surf because there were no waves for surf that day so we gave up for surf but I love the atmosphere of Malibu because it remind me of my hometown.Next is Topanga Beach.I found the vicinity of Malibu that include Topanga Beach looks like Shonan which is my hometown in Japan.When I return to Japan,I would be nostalgic feeling when I watch the sea of Shonan. Pelicans are flying in the air. I've never seen that kind of birds in Japan.I see the Pelican at the zoo that was very strange to me.

Santa Monica is a very famous sightseeing spot but I felt good old days in America when I see an amusement park on the pier that remind of me that Santa Monica is a terminus of Route 66. We often came to Karaoke in Santa Monica from Oxnard at night because it provide tons Japanese song.

Venice Beach is right next door from Santa Monica. It's very commercialized place bustling with many people as well as Santa Monica.It feel like I was in the American TV dramas scene.What comes to my mind when I hear California Girl? A healthy blonde who enjoying a roller skates at Venice Beach but some of them I saw there were a bit overweight.

As I drove down on the PCH 1,The Los Angeles International Airport came into my view.Watching Japan Airlines' large airplane passed overhead of me while driving and touched down on the land of America.I had a happy feeling somehow to see that. I mean,I didn't see any Japanese people in America but definitely I'm not what I used to be. I don't know who were on the Japan Airlines' flight but when they are staying in America,we can share experience together in America. I've never thought of that before.Since I came to America,I gradually started thinking that I want to live my life as Japanese than American.

We dropped in at Hermosa Beach to surf.My friend made a proposal to has a meal at his favorite Japanese restaurant in Torrance after surfing.so we had a dinner at there.When it comes to the foods in America,it has add more seasoning like a sugar and salt compare to the one which served in Japan. Japanese restaurant in America are no exception.I think Japanese food is more healthy than any other
countries in the world.When it comes to the Japanese restaurant in America,it has a lot of seasoning that going to be ruin its taste.but the meal I ate at there were same taste that I ate in Japan. I guess there's many Japanese people lives in Torrance that why the Japanese restaurant in Torrance doesn't have to be suited to American tastes.


America food is really big and added more salt and sugar in it.I guess American food organization trying to promote purchase of ingredients to revitalize domestic economy.I wonder how do they tackle with wasted food and obese tendency?
My hometown in Japan is near the U.S military base.I watched American movie a lot.I have been inspired by wonderful American culture since I was a young boy. But when I actually came to America and see it with my own eyes,it seems to be many people those who living in there are suffer from obesity.Actual American were not movie star I watched in American movie in Japan.During the periods of staying in America,I ate whatever I want but didn't eat too much and eat left over in the next morning in order to stay my shape and to reduce food waste.
I really love American food.Burrito which has a lot of guacamole and sour cream,Reese's peanut butter chocolate and countlessly many kind of Gatorade.I don't see those stuff in Japan.Hamburger and pizza which served in America are much more delicious than the one which served in Japan.

Next destination is Huntington Beach.We stayed at Chinese owned motel along the Hwy 39.It's very convenient place to stay.We can go to the shopping mall,movie theatre and supermarket anytime we want.
Basically the waves were a bit dumping but Huntington Beach is a special place for surfer.we can surf in the morning only during the summer. A lifeguard who rode on a jet ski approaching to lined up surfer to force out of the water in the afternoon because there are so many beachgoers in Huntington Beach.


San Clemente,The beach located in front of the Amtrack Station and Amtrack running along the ocean in this area.The ocean is beautiful,I like the atmosphere of this place. I've heard that San Clemente has produced famous pro surfer one after another but I didn't see any pro surfer in the water.I think it's because the waves are small that day but I enjoyed the warmer water anyway.


We moved to Oceanside.The people who walking down on the street wearing a Padres cap.I can't see Angeles or Dodgers cap anymore. I've already visited Oceanside several times because I like unpretentious atmosphere of this town that made me visit there that often.I'm happy to hear that my friends like this town too.Oceanside is one of my favorite town in Southern California.


We were starving after surfing,so look for the place for lunch.I found IN-N-OUT but looked at carefully its sign.it shows Angelo's Burger that confusingly similar sign.Anyway,we had a lunch at Angelo's Burger. As it shown a sigh "Angelo's Burger". but it has not only Hamburger but also Mexican like a TacoBell, Fried chicken like a KFC, Sandwiches like a Subway,Hot dog and Gyro.I think Gyro is a Greek food. I just curious what kind of restaurant Angelo's Burger is. but it's funny,I liked it.

We moved to Carlsbad,Delmar and La Jolla is a final destination.And then,go back to Oxnard.


We've gone through surf trip to Southern California like that.I found that there's not a good waves everyday like a Hawaii or Bali. Every time I see a footage of surfing in California,I admired its quality of the waves.I think those kind of footage filmed in California are only good waves.They don't have to filmed bad waves.Even though some footage filmed bad waves,it looks good waves because expert surfer made it better. I was born and raised in Japan which surrounded by the ocean. I recognized that Japan is a ideal place for surfing as well as California.But California is a place of origin for surf culture.It is very important to see and feel its way of surfing and fashion that making progress every day.


No comments:

Post a Comment